Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What type of schooling is required to be an American Sign Language Translator?

Any recommended college classes? I'm in the process of learning Sign Language and my college counselors have been particularly useless in this department. If someone with experience could help me out, i'd really appreciate it =)|||The amount and type of schooling you need depends on what state you live in. In Ohio, where I live, the law just changed. We are required to have a bachelors degree. We also have to have taken an Interpreter Training Program (ITP) and we have to take a test to qualify as a legal interpreter. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to contact the local chapter of Interpreters for the Deaf. Do a yahoo search on Registered interpreters for the deaf. Once you're at their national site, you can click on your state to get a link to their page. Once their, I would contact the president and ask them what the requirements are for your state and what colleges they recommend. You may have to attend a college out of state to finish your degree. Good luck!|||you don't mention what college you are at, but try to do the best you can and find a school with better interpreting program. I am at Gallaudet.

No comments:

Post a Comment