Friday, January 27, 2012

If I want to be a navy translator what language skills do I need to have prior to enlistment?

Be warned: CTIs do NOT TRANSLATE. they sit in small dark rooms all day long with headphones on and they transcribe. they do not go into the field and mix it up with the locals unless you are ALSO a SEAL.



you must first get a qualifying score on the ASVAB then take the DLAB. if you do not get at least a 105 on the DLAB, you will not qualify for a category 4 language( Farsi, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, etc) and will not be offered a slot at DLI. If I want to be a navy translator what language skills do I need to have prior to enlistment?
if you already speak a NEEDED language like farsi, dari, pashto, urdu, arabic, or kurdish (turkish may also be one) they will just have to give you a test in your language to see at what level you speak it.



if you already speak this language then you are going to be an interpreter no matter what. you may not have it as an MOS but you will be invaluable to whom ever the commander is.



US Army combat interpreter instructorIf I want to be a navy translator what language skills do I need to have prior to enlistment?
You have to score high enough on the ASVAB, and then pass the DLAB. After that, they'll train you in whatever language they need. You'll go to language school at DLI in Monterey, California.



You don't have to get the scores mentioned above to qualify. I got a 95 on the DLAB and was put in Farsi. I know people who scored 120 or higher and were put in Spanish or French.If I want to be a navy translator what language skills do I need to have prior to enlistment?
Unless you already are fluent in a language none. They will give you a test to see how easily you can pick up a foreign language. If you pass that, and they need translator, they will send you to there language school.

No comments:

Post a Comment