Friday, January 27, 2012

San diego fire - sign language translator when captions exist???

I'm in San Diego and I've been watching all of the press conferences regarding the fires, and I've noticed that on all of the big ones (where ah-nold is involved) there is a sign language translator. I even remember seeing one translate the half-time show song during a recent superbowl. I don't mean to offend the deaf, I just wonder if this is a show of political-correctness since all recent TVs are capable of closed-captioning. Is this political show, or is there really a need for the translator when the captions existSan diego fire - sign language translator when captions exist???
Overkill on the political correctness you would think..but some deaf cannot read letters and use primarily signing.
Um, maybe there were deaf people in the live audience?San diego fire - sign language translator when captions exist???
I have not seen captioning on the channels I have been watching (7, 8, 9 and 10) in North County San Diego. There has been someone signing for any of the mayor, OES or any other press conferences, not just Arnold. I would guess this is SOP for any "official" press conference.San diego fire - sign language translator when captions exist???
Technical -- some 'recent TVs' switch off volume when you switch on CC. Not every deaf person watches TV alone.



Obvious -- press conferences have sign language signers for people that are there at the conference.



Political correctness -- your question does not offend the deaf, it offends the rational. I'm sure there are deaf people with your same narrow view of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment