Monday, February 6, 2012

Can I be a translator with one language?

My first language is English, and my second will be German, is it possible to be a translator with only one language? Orignally, I thought you needed two, but now I'm not so sure.Can I be a translator with one language?
Sure, why not? If you work in a company that needs someone to speak German, there you go!



Maybe for the UN, you need more, but there's opportunities for anyone knowing another language.



Nancala :)

http://www.ncslearnalanguageresources.co鈥?/a>
I believe you can. All you would be translating is German and I thought that was all you needed. I'm going to learn German too! Don't think I'm going to be a translator though. Hope that helps! =)Can I be a translator with one language?
Anywhere you work will have different requirements. As with any job, the more experience or knowledge you have will always be beneficial.



Within Canada, there are many translators and interpreters who speak only their native language and a second language (either French or English) because the country is bilingual.



So, it is possible. Perhaps if you worked within the German embassy in the UK or something of that nature, it would be sufficient. But, it's always best to have more knowledge than the minimum.Can I be a translator with one language?
I think you would need two or you cant translate one to the other can you lol

I presume you mean do you need 2 others?

I would think its advisable as it would give you more chances of jobs
Learn "Sign Language." It is universal, and is in demand for

"interpreters," at courts, hospitals, and security. etc. %26lt;}:-})
RLJ, I would have thought that you have 2 languages - English and German. As long as you are completely proficient in both that should be sufficient although limiting as to where you could work.

Agree completely that sign language is a sort after communication tool.

Good luck
To translate you need to speak two languages. Like you could be an English to Spanish translator or an English to German translator. You do need two languages. There was a sign language suggestion and I agree. Sign language is a language. Good luck!
I'm sure you can, depending on how desperate translators are needed. I for example know 4 languages (or 3). English, Spanish, Manderin, and Cantonese. If I were to compete against you in looking for a job, would they pick someone who knows 2 languages instead of 4? No. However, German isn't as thoroughly spoken, so I guess it would work your way too. Good luck.
To be a translator you will need to translate from one language to another. There are many translators in Wales who translate from Welsh to English and vice-versa only.

You would be able to translate from German-English and English-German...good luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment