Friday, February 3, 2012

I want to be an translator/interpreter but not sure what language I'd learn from scratch as well as German?

It's a bit too early to be thinking about this yet, but I'm just curious. I love learning German, but am wondering what language would be good to learn from scratch at uni. I know Dutch is similar to German. How do people choose to learn a third language if they've not had much experience of it?|||German is spoken a lot in Europe (my German teacher used to say it was ''the most spoken language'' in Europe, but I doubt that). Many German words look the same/are pronounced the same as Dutch words, and both languages have a 'ch' sound (but in Dutch they also pronounce the ''g'' as ''ch''). The ''r''s are kind of similar, but in Dutch it doesn't really matter with what kind of ''r'' you talk, even an English one would be fine -experiences-. German has cases, Dutch doesn't (anymore). Anyway, to make a long story short, if you want to learn a language that's similar to German, then I'd go for Dutch...but!!..





Dutch is only spoken in The Netherlands/Belgium/some parts of Western-Germany, Netherlands Antilles...etc, it's not that much of a ''world language.'' The most spoken language in the world, is Chinese, of course, but that's really hard to learn. Second most spoken one is English, third one is Spanish, and fourth one is French. I'd recommend learning French/Spanish instead of Dutch, why? 'cause it will be way more useful for you. I'm Dutch myself, and I'm studying French+English at the moment, and once I move to the USA, I plan to learn Spanish there. I'd like to learn German (it would be easy for me), but since it's not spoken that much in the USA, I chose for Spanish. So I would advice you to choose carefully.





Another but..., you really got to love to talk in the language that you'll eventually choose, 'cause if you think that you won't, then maybe... becoming an interpreter/translator isn't something for you (that was the first question they asked me at my university)...





So again, I'd advice Spanish/French. How do people choose to learn a third language, if they've not had much experience of it? Well maybe find some videos on YouTube about the language and listen to it, maybe Google some of its grammar etc....or do more stuff, to find out whether or not you (would) like the language. Good luck!!|||Well, if you want to learn a similiar language, you can only take Dutch.


Or you take bavarian German... ;) When someone from Bavarian speaks German, I can't understand it, at all...


But it you don't wanna take Dutch, you should take what you like, maybe Italian or French, just something, that sounds good in your view.


'Cause there isn't any other similiar language than Dutch...


Greets

No comments:

Post a Comment