Friday, February 3, 2012

Language translator a good career in this economy?

I was at first going to be a research scientist/geologist but now days (american) I'm not sure how "research" will pay the bills or how the pay compares. That was my dream, but it seems the finacial situation requires more practical decisions when considering a career. I am just starting a community college so I still have time to decide. I was thinking of becoming a language translator for the Japanese language.



I have no real reason why, but I am actually interested in Japanese culture. I'm not a japanophile, I know little of them but they seem to grab my attention for an unknown reason. Anyway I planned to work in the states mostly because like I said I know little of the country and also as a college student I have little to no money.



I see people doing foreign exchange all the time but is it practical? Is it "recession proof?" I know as gaijin in japan your job chances are nearly non existent but how about as an American working fir a Japanese company in America?



Also to be a translator (for Japanese) do I major in English.. since I already know it or will I be required to take Japanese courses more so? What should I expect?Language translator a good career in this economy?
Translating / interpreting are very different skills from mere fluency in both languages. Good translators do earn fairly well, but they are on call 24-7.





Usually one translates into one's mother tongue (not out of it!)



Another consideration is how well the other culture speaks English. If they are very proficient, no need for them to hire an American.





Perhaps sign up to teach English in Japan? JET is one very prestigious program. There are others. It would get you abroad, and not cost that much.



Have you studied many years of Japanese?Language translator a good career in this economy?
If you are in for money, I wouldn't try a translator/interpreter. You'd need to research the demand (Health care, IT, Finance/Accounting right now) and your interest and aptitude. I am fully bilingual (Japanese and English) but chose IT Networking career. Learning Japanese takes many years of studying and practicing if you are non-Japanese and want to be proficient enough to be a translater/interpreter.

No comments:

Post a Comment