Friday, February 3, 2012

What major to take to become a multiple -foreign language translator?





I want to become a translator, but I don't know what to major in. I hear to major in a foreign language but I have more than one language that I want to learn(Japanese,Mandarin Chinese,French,Icelandic). What would be an appropriate major to have all these incorporated? Im interested in doing travel booking/agent,tour guide,air port assistance stuff, so I'm not really into International business,law,or medical.

I also keep hearing about linguistics ,but isn't that more for people who want to do speech therapy and more involved with learning the science of language?So should I something like international studies, relations, affairs or something?



So to list out what im asking is..





1) What would be a recommended major for someone that wants to be a translator for multiple languages?

2)What would be a nice minor to complement my major?

3)Whats the difference between International studies,relations,and affairs, and would majoring in one of those help me accomplish the translator thing for multiple languages?

4) And also your personal opinion about what I'm doing, and how I'm going about this, do you think its a smart route?



Thanks ahead. :)What major to take to become a multiple -foreign language translator?
1 %26amp; 2. Well, where I went to university (McGill in Montreal) there was a major in Modern Languages, and a minor in East Asian Studies, so you could take both Japanese and Mandarin in your minor, but I'm not sure if they offered Icelandic and I know that although they offered French, since the university is in Quebec you couldn't take it as a foreign language for the Modern Languages program. But there may well be somewhere where you could take all four. Or (at McGill in Modern Languages) you could take Japanese and Chinese with a minor in French. Different Linguistics programs have different requirements, but I think most will offer and probably require courses in a variety of languages, though possibly focussing more on the grammar than on communicating.



3. don't know, I think it would depend on the particular program. Check the requirements.

4. Do you have a base in all/any of these languages? Starting from scratch in four very different languages seems like maybe too much to take on, and I would also wonder why those four in particular for tourism. (Especially Icelandic! Hardly anyone speaks Icelandic and I'm under the impression that most people in Iceland speak good English.)

No comments:

Post a Comment